Monday, March 10, 2008

A girl that touched my heart

So last week I sent out the first wave of support letters, if you have not received one don't worry you soon will, or at least that's the plan. The good news is that I have already received one response.
I sent a letter to a family that I know. I have gotten to hang out with the whole family a few times, but most of the time I see them all over the place, specifically at church. I sent this family a support letter. The letter was addressed to the whole family, but I was/am hoping for support from the parents specifically (prayer and financial). However, the next time I saw the dad he had an amazing gift for me. He took a dollar out of his pocket and said, "This is from Grace. She had $7 and she wanted to give you one to help you with your trip to Zambia." This touched my heart. I remember when I was a kid, a dollar was a huge deal. Right away a story from the Bible came to mind, the story of The Widow's Offering. For those of you that have not heard this story or have forgotten how it goes here it is:

As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "Truly I tell you," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." Like 21:1-4

Now I understand that this little girl is not an old woman who lives in poverty, in fact she is a blessed little girl who is privileged enough to live in America and have all of her daily needs met. The reason that she reminded me of the widow in this story was that she gave of herself. She had $7, which she could spend in anyway she pleased, but she decided to give one of those dollars to me to help me help the children in Zambia. This touched my heart and reminded me what this is all about. I was getting caught up in getting addresses and making sure I did not leave anyone out, forgetting that God has it planned out for me and that he will be faithful in providing. I want to say thank you right now to all of you that are considering supporting me through your prayers and thoughts and any other way that you choose to give. Specifically, thank you Grace for being faithful to God's call in your life and giving out of your love for Him and being a reminder to me of how I need to live in my preparation, on my trip, and for the rest of my life: giving of myself to the fullest, not just what's comfortable.

No comments: